Jul 10, 2012 0
I was out at the weekend so no Manga Mania Monday this week, instead I have grabbed something within arms reach, the Minami 7 conbook from 2001. Let’s take a look.
Editorial – begging you not to just sit drinking in the bar, but instead actually take part in the con. This fell on deaf ears as long time attendees eventually stopped paying for con membership and just turn up at the hotel and drink in the bar all weekend.
Advert for Rumi Vyse’s Tangerine Volume 10 - there’s still a website up
The Future of Anime In The UK – Predictions we can now point and laugh at from our vantage point of the future. SUCK IT THE PAST, THE FUTURE ROOLS.
- Channel 4 purchase the rights to anime and air in on Friday Nights kick starting a bidding war between terrestrial stations for all the best anime. THIS DID NOT HAPPEN, SEE HOW STUPID YOU LOOK NOW THE PAST?
- More and more companies release anime on DVD. THIS HAPPENED. THEN STOPPED HAPPENING. THEN WENT THE OTHER WAY.
- BBFC ban imported DVDs. ARE YOU STUPID OR SOMETHING THE PAST, THAT NEVER HAPPENED. NEXT TIME GET YOUR MUM TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR PREDICTIONS.
- Not every anime fan will have an internet connection fast enough to download anime. THEY ARE FAST ENOUGH THEY DON’T EVEN HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT.
- UK fandom will be swarmed with “newbies”. CORRECT, BUT THEY ARE CALLED NOOBS. GET WITH THE PROGRAM GRANDAD.
- Anime clubs will boom. THE INTERNET MEANS WE NEVER HAVE TO MEET ANOTHER ANIME FAN FACE TO FACE EVER AGAIN IF WE SO WISH. IT IS SO GLORIOUS HERE IN THE FUTURE.
WELCOME TO MANGA TOWN: Can Anime Save Japan’s Regional Economies - Probably not.
ANIME BIT BY BIT – An explanation of what DivX is and where to find anime online. These were the days when UK cons actively encouraged piracy.
Anime Shopping In The US – Greater Boston - I have no idea why this was thought a good idea for a conbook at a Southampton con.
Anime – The Next Step – This has a more realistic view of what will happen to Anime Clubs, in fact it gets it pretty much spot on in how mainstreaming of anime removes the necessity of clubs and the rate of release would lead to a crackdown on fansubs (this would happen to UK cons in 2005). It then proceeds to suggest that Final Fantasy The Spirits Within is the future of anime, thus blowing its Nostradamus credentials. YOU DID IT AGAIN THE PAST.
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade - A review of Jin-Roh. A film that would not get a UK release for another 6 years.
Alcohol, Mundanes and Otaku Do Not Mix – First off, let’s draw attention to the use of the term “mundanes” in the title. Just horrible. Anyway, this article was some guy telling you how his yaoi got him in some bother with the rozzers.
Pokemon – Regional Variations – “Comedy”
The Letters Page – More “Comedy”
Afterword – Yet more “Comedy”